Global Education Unit
The Global Education Unit promotes and supports active global citizenship through local, European and global initiatives. Our work focuses on equipping youth and educators with knowledge, skills and tools to increase awareness about global issues and to encourage action for a more just and sustainable world; engaging citizens of all ages in intercultural dialogue; supporting peace-building initiatives among young people; Engaging citizens in conversations about the World We Want and our role in the Post-2015 Framework. Core projects of the unit include Accessing Development Education, TeachMDGs, Civil Society Acts Beyond Borders, The World from Our Doorstep and Youth of the World.
What we do:
- Teacher Trainings
- Interactive Seminars for teachers about Global Education, how it relates to their teaching and learning context
- Introduce teachers to interactive and learner-centered methodologies that encourage active participation of the students, and that help develop skills, values and attitudes such as critical thinking, empathy, respect for diversity and solidarity, and at the same time build knowledge about global issues and their interdependence with our everyday life.
- Youth Leader Workshops
- Discussion groups and workshops with youth and youth leaders from all communities in Cyprus, supporting them in their active citizenship skills and in planning and implementing their own actions
- Workshops with pupils on global perspectives and on how to take action for change
- Developing Teaching Resources, adapting existing teaching materials
- Producing teachers manuals and guidance as to how Global Education can be integrated into their lessons
- Develop teaching resources specifically on global justice and sustainable development
- Translate and adapt existing teaching resources that have been developed in the UK or in Ireland
- Capacity Building around development issues, global issues
- Workshops and Trainings for other civil society organisations who are interested in issues related to sustainable development
- Bringing together different actors to encourage collaboration with regards to development issues and the MDGs/ Post-2015 agenda